Dayamín Winchester, Master Server Coordinator
Parish Office: (806) 358-2461, ext. 123
About Master Servers
Master Servers are the older, more mature servers on the Altar. They are generally more focused on the tasks of the Mass such as carrying the processional cross, attending to the Roman Missal (or other liturgical books) for the Priest. Other duties include ringing the bells during the Eucharistic elevations and bringing the ciborium to the priest and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion when needed, as well as returning the ciborium to the tabernacle after Holy Communion. Also, Master Servers help with the incense during funerals and solemn Masses. Finally they help coordinate, guide, teach, and direct the younger Altar Servers in all parts of the Mass.
Requirements to Become a Master Server
- Master Servers must be registered members of St. Thomas the Apostle Parish.
- Master Servers must actively practice the Catholic Faith.
- Master Servers must be at least 16 years of age.
- Master Servers must be Confirmed in the Catholic Church.
- Master Servers must be in good standing with the church, if married, must be validly married in the church; youth and unmarried ministers must be living a chaste lifestyle.
- Master Servers are required to be trained as Eucharistic Ministers as part of their duties.
- Master Servers are required to attend a Safe Environment Training. Anyone in ministry where children play a role, in this case Altar Servers, are required to be safe environment trained.
The Master Server Commitment
- A love of God and the Catholic Faith.
- A strong desire to do God’s work and serve his people.
- The commitment to fully meet the requirements of service for which you have been chosen.
- The commitment to fulfill duties when scheduled.
- The desire to be prepared, to arrive early to help prepare for Mass, and to ensure that the rest of the Altar Server Team is prepared.
Training sessions are scheduled throughout the year. Master Servers will be trained to handle all of the tasks assigned to each specific duty. Once Master Servers have completed all the requirements, they will be added to the regular master server schedule. Master Servers are regularly scheduled once a month.
Please contact Dayamin Winchester, Master Server Coordinator, for more information